2012 has been a busy year in the area of MSPMedicare Secondary Payer Act compliance and you can be sure that court, state, and CMSCenters for Medicare and Medicaid Services interpretations of this complicated law will continue to evolve. If you want to assure you are completely up to date on this year’s new MSPMedicare Secondary Payer Act case law, liability requirements and MSPMedicare Secondary Payer Act trends, plan to attend PMSI’s 2012 legal update webinar! The webinar will not only ensure you are up to date on the latest happenings in the area of MSPMedicare Secondary Payer Act compliance, but will clarify and fully explain new case law and how it may impact claim settlements. Highlights from the webinar include:
2012 MSPMedicare Secondary Payer Act Case Law
- Bruton v. Carnival Corp., wherein a Florida court found that although the settlement documents spoke to compliance with the MSPMedicare Secondary Payer Act, because an MSAMedicare Set-Aside was not specifically mentioned, it was not required. I will discuss how settlement documents are key in ensuring MSPMedicare Secondary Payer Act compliance.
- Oregon State Bar Prof. Liability Fund v. DHHSDepartment of Health and Human Services, an attorney legal malpractice insurer sought a court’s opinion as to whether it is an RREResponsible Reporting Entity - payer subject to Mandatory Insurer Reporting Requirements mandated by Section 111 of the MMSEA under the MMSEAMedicare Medicaid and SCHIP Extension Act and required to report claims information to Medicare. Will more entities seek exemption from reporting under the MMSEAMedicare Medicaid and SCHIP Extension Act from the courts in the future?
Conditional Payment Update
- A recent Third Circuit Case as well as a recent CMSCenters for Medicare and Medicaid Services memorandum provides Medicare Advantage Plans with the same rights of recovery as traditional Medicare and also allows for a private cause of action for double damages if conditional payments are not reimbursed! I will explain how this update may affect settlements and how you can protect yourself from this private cause of action.
CMSCenters for Medicare and Medicaid Services liability updates
- CMSCenters for Medicare and Medicaid Services attempts to formalize rules surrounding the MSPMedicare Secondary Payer Act and future medicals. Will LMSAsLiability Medicare Set-asides or another form of allocation be required in the near future?
- A WCMSAWorkers' Compensation Medicare Set-Aside bill seeks to exempt all workers’ compensation settlements under $25,000 from any compliance with the MSPMedicare Secondary Payer Act. Will this bill pass?
Heather Schwartz, Esq., MSCC, CHPE, CLMP, CMSP will offer her expertise in reference to the above topics on Tuesday, September 18, 2012 from 1 PM -2 PM EDT.
This webinar is complimentary and 1 hour of CEU and CLEContinuing Legal Education credit has been requested in multiple states; all attendees who successfully complete the Webinar will be provided with a Certificate of Attendance. For more information on obtaining CEU or CLEContinuing Legal Education credit for this webinar and to Register, please click here:
2 Responses to “MSP Mid 2012 Legal Updates Webinar”
Leave a Comment