In accordance with the SSN Fraud Prevention Act of 2017, the COB&R program will mask the SSN and SSN-portion of the HICN, on all outgoing letters as of April 1, 2019.
The first five digits of the SSN will be masked with asterisks (e.g., *****1234A). All outgoing hardcopy and electronic letters will be included in this change. In comparison, the Medicare Beneficiary Identifier (MBI) will not be impacted by this change and will continue to appear in full.
In addition, on February 26, 2019, CMS announced that effective April 1, 2019, electronic payment functionality will be added to both the Medicare Secondary Payer Recovery Portal (MSPRP) and the Commercial Repayment Center Portal (CRCP). The CMS will be hosting two webinars to provide additional information on this enhancement.
- March 13, 2019 at 1:00 PM EST for MSPRP users
- March 14, 2019 at 1:00 PM EST for CRCP users
Additional information regarding these changes is available at the following sources:
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services What’s New
- Medicare Secondary Payer Recovery Portal (MSPRP) Electronic Payment Enhancement Webinar Wednesday, March 13, 2019
- Commercial Repayment Center Portal (CRCP) Electronic Payment Enhancement Webinar Thursday, March 14, 2019.
As always, Optum Settlement Solutions will continue to provide new information regarding upcoming Coordination of Benefits & Recovery and other Medicare Secondary Payer compliance activities as information becomes available.